This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
As pickleball gains popularity around the world, it’s only natural that newcomers have a few questions before stepping onto the court for the first time. In this article, we’re addressing the five frequently asked questions that beginners have about pickleball. Whether you’re curious about the rules, equipment, or simply wondering what all the buzz is about, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and unravel the mysteries of pickleball together!
- What happens if the ball hits a line on a serve?
- What happens if I double hit the ball?
- To execute a double hit legally, it must occur during an unintentional stroke that is continuous and in a single direction. If it is a non-continuous stroke, a non-single direction stroke, or another player is involved, it is considered a fault.
- Can I reach over the kitchen line and hit the ball?
- Yes. As long as your feat are behind the kitchen (non-volley zone) line and your swing does not cause you or any object in contact with you to touch the non-volley zone, it is legal. Your momentum also cannot cause contact with anything touching the non-volley zone, including your partner.
- What happens if my paddle crosses the plane of the net?
- If this happens before you make contact with the ball, it is a fault. It is legal, however, if this happens after you hit the ball. This applies to your paddle or any in contact with you (clothing, etc.).
- What happens if the ball hits the net on a serve?
- If the ball hits the net on a serve and lands in the correct service box, it is a legal serve. If the ball does not land in the correct service box, it is a fault. There are no lets in pickleball.
With these five frequently asked questions answered, we hope you feel more confident and excited to dive into the world of pickleball. As you embark on your pickleball journey, remember that it’s a sport that welcomes players of all ages and skill levels. Don’t be afraid to join a local club, attend clinics, or find friendly matches with fellow enthusiasts. Embrace the fun, friendly, and competitive nature of pickleball, and most importantly, enjoy the experience!